Sunday, February 13, 2011

Like a child


We had the pleasure of hosting a group of girls this past weekend.  They stayed overnight and had some fun on the sledding hill.  It was good to see people using the camp.  I had the opportunity to talk with them for a minute before they ate lunch.  I wanted to give them a sales pitch about upcoming events and helping us out at the camp.  The girls were elementary age and when I asked for questions I got the typical elementary questions.  It was really fun.  One girl asked if we would still have the sledding hill in the spring.  I was excited to see that she enjoyed the sledding hill!  I told here the snow would be gone but we will have other activities-that are just as much fun-for her to do when she comes in the spring.  After they left I was thinking about kids and how they are.  A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to be the kids camp speaker and this past weekend reminded me of how much fun it was, interacting with the kids and watching their simple faith.

Kids are different than adults.

When this group arrived I watched as they unloaded everything they needed for the weekend, and it occurred to me that the girls didn't have much to do with getting to camp, their leaders and parents took care of all the details for them.  The girls didn't need to worry about anything-they were taken care of by their leaders-their job was to have fun. 

Sometimes I wish adults had it so easy.  It would be nice if we didn't have to worry about putting food on the table, making sure our kids have everything they need,  keeping the house in order, and planning for the future.  Kids just have to decide what they are going to play next. 

I say I wish adults had it so easy, but don't they?

We spend a lot of time worrying and most of it is unnecessary.  We fret over every little detail in life as if it were the end of the world if it doesn't come out just they way we plan.  We run around like a chicken with its head cut off, and I wonder, is all of the effort really worth it?

Jesus asks the question "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" He says that in Matthew chapter 6 where He tells us not to trust in ourselves but to trust in God.  He tells us that The Father provides for us all that we need-much like the leaders took care of those girls this past weekend!  Those girls didn't worry about whether everything was going to turn out alright, and we should not worry either.  Our heavenly Father knows what we need, even before we ask. 

I have a statement from John MacArthur tucked into my bible in Matthew chapter 6.  He said "You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future." Too many of us ruin the present because we worry and fret too much. We need to learn how to slow down, trust God, and enjoy the life He has given us-just like kids do!

No comments:

Post a Comment